Where do Heart and Courage come from?

Recently I have been thinking about heart and courage.  


Does winning a race or placing on the podium or setting a PR take heart and courage?  Absolutely - but not for the reasons why you may think.  Courage and Heart do not exist in a result.  Courage is born with a decision and dedication to follow a dream, and heart is earned in the darkest hours.   



I was once asked what the hardest part of Ironman was.  I responded "Signing up."


I realize how blessed I am to belong to some amazing communities and the one thing that really ties them all together is that their purpose is the same - lift up women and encourage them to go after their goals.

As a member of the endurance triathlon community for some time now I have seen many friends and teammates make valiant attempts and fall short of achieving their goals.  The amazing thing is that in the community to which we belong no one ever criticized, made fun of or ridiculed someone for making the attempt.  

In fact, the opposite is true.  It is in times of failure that we are often pushed to our absolute limits and show our heart.  The endurance community rallies around and lifts up in celebration of the courage one had to chase their dreams.  THIS is where the magic happens!   


Les Brown Said It best...


I guess the point is that sometimes it takes several attempts before we succeed. If we are afraid of the times where we fall short we will never know the growth we experience due to these attempts; we deny ourselves an opportunity for something amazing.  

"What if I cannot finish the race?"  Well, you will not know if you do not try! 

"What if I fall short of my goals?"  I ask you this - What if you succeed?  

There is NO shame in making an attempt that does not end up where we wanted.  

The COURAGE is when we decide to make our dreams realities. The HEART is when we keep getting back up on the horse every single time we fall off. 

So what will you do today that scares you?  As a wise friend once told me - BE BRAVE and go unto today with the intent of NOT denying yourself for an opportunity for something amazing to happen!  

In health and heart, 



The Iron Seashell   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022: I Proudly Race with BASE Performance #whythisteam

What is the hardest part of Ironman? Reflecting back on journeys past and the friend who had the audacity to call me out on my fears.